Wednesday, February 27, 2008



I have enjoyed settling back into my life here in Kampala. Uganda is a beautiful place to live. It is about 85 degrees every day and the sun feels very, very hot. There is hardly a cloud in the sky. They have two seasons here: dry and wet. Right now we are in the dry season where it is hot and sunny every day. I have been using a lot of sunscreen so I don’t burn, but it feels so great to be out in the warm sunshine!

Many of you may be wondering what I eat while I am here. I actually love the food here because it is so fresh. Everyday I go across the street from my house and buy fresh onions, green peppers, carrots, peas, avocadoes, pineapples, watermelons, papayas or tomatoes. The picture above shows what this market looks like. You can also go to grocery stores and buy rice, spaghetti, juice, soda, bread and many of the same things you can buy in the US. This week I fried some fish fillets and ate it with rice and avocado. I also made a vegetable soup from fresh tomatoes, carrots, peppers and onions that I served over rice. It was very good. Last night I went to a restaurant in town and had roasted chicken and potatoes. After dinner each night I eat some fresh fruit. It is so yummy; in fact it is the best fruit I have ever tasted!

This week I did not work at the International School as no subs were needed, but I did spend time with the widows I have been trying to help. They are really struggling to feed their children, pay their school fees and to pay their rent. Some of them are very sick with HIV and other diseases. I have tried to help them get more food and to help them get sponsors so their children can get to school. Even though they have many problems, they are determined to love their children and to do the best they can. Sometimes I cry when I think of how difficult life is for them, but it just makes me more determined to help them.

Next week I will substitute for a 2nd grade teacher at the International School. They are also doing PYP units just like you! It will be fun to see how their school works! I will make sure to give you a full report next week.

If you read my blog last week, I told you how I get around town. One way I get around town is on a “boda, boda.” One of the pictures I put up for you shows me riding on a boda, boda. Can you guess what that is?

Keep studying hard!
Ms. Miller

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Ms. Miller!

How are you doing in Uganda? We thought you looked very nice on the boda, boda. We however, request that you stop talking about food because it makes us hungry! It sounds so good! We're jealous of the weather there, we just got another inch of snow!

We all miss you! Take care of yourself and the widows.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Your loving 4th grade class